Monday, May 14, 2007

T-Minus Four Days

Still here, for now.

Today I completed the final draft of my thesis and turned it in. While I'm aware some folks sneeze at a 20 odd page paper as no big deal, I still consider it an accomplishment. A lot of work and time went into it. I suppose it served as a good warmup for much longer papers ahead when I hit graduate school in a year or two. At any rate, I have completed the largest piece of the puzzle. I still have Standards of Effective Practice papers to finish in the next couple days--what a waste of time, duplicating the kinds of things done during student teaching.

So, here's what I have left to do between now and Saturday:

  • SOEP Papers
  • Profiles for Sig Themes
  • Proof and print Senate Handbook
  • Organize e-files in the office
  • Post SAFAC PDFs on website per Gail's request
  • Clean my stuff out of the office
  • Check to see what the steps are to get teaching license
  • Return Pat's book
  • Get a haircut before Mom comes Thursday
  • Do laundry
  • Clean and pack my room
  • Commencement festivities
I'm sure I'm forgetting something...

I picked up my cap and gown today. Somehow that makes this all seem more real...that in a mere four days I will be a graduate...that five years of work will be wrapped up. As much as I know it is time to move on it is still hard, and as the days and hours tick by, it just feels weird. As a friend said today, it's not really about missing school itself...it's the people. The knowledge that you get up every day and see Friend X or Professor Y.

Happiness, sadness and nervousness....a sense of accomplishment mixed with a sense of pending loss...loss of place and people I have come to call a home.

4 comments:

Froyd said...

congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Way to Berne!

Jeppe

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I wonder where the "go" went?

Jeppe

Julie said...

Thinking about you a lot...haven't had the time to write you a good response to you email but will soon.
I hope commencement went well and that things are working out for you. It's a big transition from college into whatever comes next. Take it one day at a time and enjoy it!