Friday, January 14, 2005

First Impressions

I have now had every one of my Spring Semester classes once. For the most part, they seem OK.

My Ed classes (Pedagogy, Human Relations and Developmental Reading) seem alright, although they seem like a lot of work. And I question how helpful some of the assignments are going to be. I could care less about doing artsy fartsy stuff like designing bulletin boards or montages. At face value, I don't know that these types of assignments are really relavent to teaching quality but I guess time will tell.

American Lit II seems ok. I will survive. We have a lot to get through, and I always seem to fall behind in my reading in lit courses, which I can't really afford to do this time because of the grade structure. It's a little scary, but I am sure I will survive.

Teaching Writing With Technology seems like it will be interesting. I'll be curious to see how the workshop structure works out, with pairs of us teaching each week works out. Yes, the students are teaching the class. Most are Grads, and many are GAs...only four of us are undergrads. It's a little different, but should be fun. Lindsay and I are going to team up to do a blogging workshop, which will be fun since we just had Blogs and Wikis.

And the fun begins...

2 comments:

Julie said...

Berne Berne Berne....artsy fartsy?
Bulletin boards and classroom environment are SO important! Who wants to learn in a classroom that's not visually stimulating? Kids learn much more from themselves and eachother than they ever will from you. Therefore, the best teachers create a classroom environment that excites and motivates students. Who was ever motivated by four white walls and a teacher who lectures?

Berne said...

Hmmmm...true, however most of those items can be purchased at a store (posterboard, precut letters, etc) Have you ever seen anything I've cut, colored, or otherwise touched in my attempt to provide atmosphere? :)