Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Our Schools' Sales Pitch

Is competition the future of our public schools? Since when do they have to be like privates and recruit kids? Apparently, more school districts, including the one I came from, are focusing more on marketing in the age of school choice.


District uses video to sell itself to students

An infomercial? I hope it's better than typical infomercials, because I'm getting a vision of a principal hawking our schools like used cars.

Is this the future of our public schools in Minnesota? Low on funds, schools being closed, enrollment declining and fighting for more students? Is it destined to become a struggle for survival of the fittest? I expect a University to have to market itself, but not a K-12 district. I guess it indicates major change in the way this state views education.

No comments: