Monday, August 21, 2006

Internship Over, Back in Bemidji

On Friday, I finished my tenure as an intern in the MSUSA office. It was, all things considered, a very good experience...I feel like I got to help the organization in a number of ways, really get into things. I felt like a part of the office...I think it comes from the fact I've worked with these folks a long time and know the organization, so I was no doubt more involved and my opinion sought more than if I had gone and worked in some big office where I didn't know anyone.

Some things I worked on:

  • Chronicling files
  • Chairing the DC Summit Task Force
  • Getting bids for things-lots of them
  • Setting up computers and troubleshooting technology-becoming the temp IT person, in a way.
  • Participating in the hiring process for new staff-reviewed resumes, sat in on some interviews
  • Helped with Summer Conference and the Golf Scramble
  • Helping with the website move, saving a ton of $$$
At my "Goodbye" lunch (Hardly goodbye, as I am still going to be Campus Rep and the organizer will be in town 24 hours from now) I was asked to sum up my internship in one word. Instead, I gave five--a little bit of everything. I really did do a wide variety of stuff, which I enjoyed because I became more familiar with different facets of the organization.

I was also asked what my favorite part was. I responded that I enjoyed the opportunity to work every day with our officers and staff. They joked that I was kissing up, but it is true...they are a really great group of people, both working hard and having fun, and it is apparent they truly do care about the work they do. Knowing what the association has been through in the past couple of years I am glad to know that it is in a good place. I may have said it in the past, but this is a better, stronger, happier MSUSA .... with our students and staff, great things are to come.

And now, I'm back in Bemidji preparing for my fifth and final year of undergraduate exitement. We'll see what develops!

No comments: