Wednesday, August 27, 2008

History of the Political Kind

History has been made...Barack Obama is the first ever African American candidate for President of the United States.

I haven't watched as much of the convention as one might expect. While I am interested in politics, I don't watch CNN for hours on end...except maybe on election night.

I did catch Hillary Clinton's address last night, and she seemed to do a good job of endorsing him and motivating her supporters to do the same, the message being that if they supported her because of what she stands for, then they should be on board with Obama. While McCain wants to court her supporters, the fact of the matter is very few will go for him...I know I would not vote for a polar opposite candidate out of primary bitterness.

I thought it was a good symbolic gesture that she was the one who called for an end to the roll call and his nomination by acclimation...another sign that they are trying to unify the party.

Admittedly, I don't know a ton about Joe Biden, but from what I can see he does bring a lot of experience to the ticket. And whether one agrees with him or not, after seeing his speech tonight, it's hard to argue his ability to deliver an energizing address and fire people up.

Will be interesting to see how Obama defines himself tomorrow evening.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I'm very excited about this election, more than most I've lived to see...