Friday, August 29, 2008

That Time of Year Again...

It's back to school time. This means that for the past week I have had a longing--a longing to be back on a college campus....as a student, as staff...as anything.

I think the longing is stronger this year, because in my original "grand plan" I hoped to be doing both by now...working on a campus, and working on a Master's. And I got close. But, as life sometimes goes, it was not meant to be.

The summer has been slow. Anyone looking for work right now knows the market is tight and there are lots of qualified people on the hunt. Makes it hard for a young professional like me, who has a lot of drive and good qualities, but not a lot of experience. A couple of interviews have been had, but I am still hunting.

It's left me thinking a lot about what my next step needs to be. There are a few options:

A) Let it ride--keep trying to get back into a higher ed. environment and worry about Master's stuff after. Probably not the best plan, as it has not worked for me to this point.

B) Give up the search for higher ed. work temporarily. Find a job doing whatever, and focus on getting into graduate school for Fall 09, preferably with an assistantship, at a location TBD.

C) Seek admission to a local program on a part time basis to start this spring. Find work either inside or outside the field. Drawback is that I would be starting at an off time and would miss the chance to go through the program in a cohort.

D) Seek admission to an online program with a cohort starting this spring. Would provide a degree of flexibility the other options would not in when/where I work while going to school. Not an option I had previously considered, but I came across a program that looks pretty strong earlier this week from a very reputable place.

There are certainly some pros and cons to each of these choices. I do know this--I need a job, and I also need to settle on a plan to continue my education. I was pretty settled on "B" but part of me itches to get back into the academic arena, knowing that many more doors will open with those extra letters behind my name, so why prolong the wait?

Decisions...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an incredibly though decision to make. I'm there with you, as are about a half-dozen of my friends. Even my sister is here!

Have you considered expanding your job search area? It's getting to the point where we all have to start searching outside the states we live (and want to live) in. Just remember: this isn't forever. You work there for a year or two, keep looking for work in the meantime, and you'll get back eventually. My older sister just applied for jobs in Alaska (!) and Nebraska. I can't really do this because I'm restricted by my husband's work, but I'm starting to look at jobs that aren't exactly in my field (or really anything I would want to do long-term) but my skills translate.

I know a friend who is considering AmeriCorps and the PeaceCorps. Another is considering higher ed--an MFA or PhD. I'm considering the latter myself.

If you're not ready to make that decision (many of us aren't!), don't just yet! You can ride it out for another month or so. With the market as it is, I think you have plenty of time to make a decision. It's tough being idle, though; I know that feeling well enough.

I think your best bet would be to start looking at higher ed programs. If any of them strike you, consider them, but you may find they all don't excite you. If they don't, it's not time for you to go back yet. I know, though, that the bachelor's degree is becoming our generation's high school degree--useful but you really need something more. Not to be discouraging, of course! There are plenty of amazing jobs out there, and you will know your field better than I ever could.

But what MA/MS programs are you looking at? Any I would recognize? Are you noticing that a master's degree would help in your job application process? Do you want to commit the next 2-3 years of your life to a degree? What online program is this?

I know I'm probably leaving you with more questions than solutions, but I hear you, 110%. I sympathize, empathize, everything kind of -thize! Hang in there. You're ridiculously talented, and you love what you do. That translates well, trust me. Take care, and know that you're not alone.

Anonymous said...

Damn. That was supposed to say "tough." Oy.