Sunday, November 19, 2006

Time to "Think Big"

I have been involved in student government a long time. In that time, I have seen the group ebb and flow...some months and years have been better than others. Nothing you do is always perfect. Just a couple of weeks ago I was writing on this blog about bumps in the road.

However, in the last couple of weeks I have also come to realize just what we are doing this year. It is not every day that students, faculty, and alumni come up to you and say things like "That bill was excellent", "I admire you", "He's a rock star" or the simple, yet powerful "Thank you for your work."

As my colleagues and I have discussed of late, it is very easy to get caught in the day to day kinds of functions we are required to fulfill, like going to such and such meeting or reviewing new policy. Much Senate business is reactive--we offer a response to an administrative proposal.

In the last month or two however, it seems like things are being taken a step further. Proposals are being reviewed, but along with that come suggestions for improvements. And folks are speaking up and asking questions. There are some things in the pipeline, that if done right will impact BSU in the long term.

It's time to "Think Big" and I'm glad I'm around to see it.

No comments: