Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Blog and Facebook Conundrum

I want to take a minute to address something that's been bothering me lately: the demise of some of my favorite blogs. In the years I have been a part of the blogosphere I have seen many come and go, it is a natural cycle.

Recently, though I am starting to notice people dropping their blogs (and Facebook) for reasons beyond being tired of them. I'm seeing great blogs die because the writers are becoming overwhelmed with a feeling of overexposure or are tired of dingbats leaving nasty comments under the guise of "Anonymous."

It's really sad. While I am fully aware that we all have to watch ourselves online, blogs are supposed to be a medium of free expression. They are supposed to be the writer's domain. Obviously there is a line...we shouldn't be writing slanderous lies about our friends and enemies, but being authentic should be applauded.

Am I authentic? Yes. Could I be more so? Yes, but some personal details need not be revealed just for revelation's sake.

When did openness and honesty in blogging become a bad thing?

Now, even my MOTHER has begun to question me about my blog and Facebook profile. I had to remind her of two things:

1) I have studied blogging and writing online
2) I participated in several discussions about Facebook profiles and the ability of employers to see your online identity.

Thus, I do not believe there is anything on this blog, or on my Facebook page, that I would fear getting out there. I'm pretty sure I've scarecely used a swear word on here in 3+ years with the exception of "hell" which is debatable as a cuss word to begin with.

And in fact, the ability to function in an online world may actually prove a benefit in my professional life over time, since email/blogs/Facebook etc. are the ways students communicate, and even staff communicate, to a degree that will grow over time.

What do you think?

5 comments:

Leland said...

It is quite...annoying (for lack of a better word)...that this form of free expression is becoming less and less "free". I guess the only bad thing with openness and honesty is that most of the time (at least from personal experience as well as what I've seen) comes out at the most emotional of times. And its quite understandable - blogging is an outlet!

Blogging has definitely become a fine art. I've quickly learned (but am still learning) what to say and how to say it. The how to say it part usually kicks my ass! I believe you can be open and honest online as long as you edit how you express yourself. (I hope that makes sense)

Speaking of facebook though...we should be friends. Because everyone knows you're not "real" friends until you're friends on facebook ha!

Laura B. said...

I am sorry about your friend Jared, Berne. How frightening. This and everything in the news reminds me all the time that we don't know our futures... .

Sharon said...

Purposes for blogging are probably as varied as the people who are writing them.
Some seem to write for the 'wow' factor, some to inform.
I write to express myself and to share things in my life with family and friends.
But like anything that goes 'public', you do have to be aware of your audience...

Anonymous said...

I think the key words here are "common sense."

My theory... if I don't mind my Mom, Dad, Professors and future employer reading it - I blog it. Cuz honestly, I know for a fact that 3 out of 4 already do.

Oh and you know how I used to worry about what to blog and if it was interesting. Lol... yeah I'm so over that. Might be to the detriment of my blog, but I'm happier.

dorkyteacher said...

I've had to think a lot about this as I blog about my experiences teaching. I have actually gone back and done some editing of prior blog entries to ensure that no one could identify me or my school if they wanted to. I also don't mention specific names of kids becuase of these same concerns.

Facebook is another interesting problem since the students in my video club have a facebook group which they made me an administrator of since I'm the advisor. Tons of kids joined and pretty soon I had friend requests rolling in from past and current students. So, I utilized the "limited profile" tool in facebook and made sure that kids could see, basically, nothing about me (including photos, contact info, and my wall) or my friends on facebook and I'm not having any issues. The kids LOVE that their teacher has been on facebook longer than they have.

But I do think about what I write and the fact that it could be used against me and blog accordingly.