Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Resumes

I've been spending a lot of time recently trying to work on improving my resume. I had thought the one I was using was OK, until Mom looked at it last week. She'd been to some workshop at her work, and based on that said my resume was all wrong.

She Says:
-Too Long
-Too Vague
-Includes non-relevant information

I had originally been told by Career Services at BSU that as a new grad I shouldn't leave anything out, and that with all my leadership experience and honors, a two-pager was ok. Mom seems to think it shouldn't be more than a page.

I did send a couple of drafts to a 3rd party, someone I met at the MCPA conference who works at the U. He kept it at two pages and suggested additions...A skills section and a professional development piece.

Is this a case of the corporate world vs. the educational one? Who's correct in your opinion, readers?

This is very frustrating! I need a job...and I hope my resume is not a reason I haven't secured one.

4 comments:

Leland said...

I've found myself in the same predicament this entire year!!! Unfortunately though, I have no advice to give....because I'm still in the same boat.

It seems to me that there isn't a "right" set of rules when it comes to resumes. I'm pretty sure every person I go to tells me something different. Its almost as if resumes scream "hey what's wrong with me" because everyone seems to be able to critique them extremely well. No one seems to notice the good on/in them.

I personally think resumes look better when they're one page.

Sharon said...

It's very tempting to put EVERYTHING in a resume. You want a potential employer to know all about you and your skills.
However, I think the one-page format might be the way to go. It's quick to read, has pertinent information, and might be read all the way through by a potential employer.
If they want more information, they will then ask you for it.
But I agree also that it's hard to leave things out!!

Alicia said...

I'm told it depends upon what type of job you're applying for. Mine's two pages, and I will not change it. There's no way for me to fit everything onto one page.

I'm told that the "one-page only" ideal is an old one but is useful for entry-level jobs (jobs where there will be tons of applicants), and the two-page resume is more for the jobs where your experience and education are key in getting it (I know that sounds vague, but I can't think of a better way of explaining it).

Do what you think is best. You rock. Just remember that!

Anonymous said...

one page