Monday, March 21, 2005

Absolutely Stunned

Well, it's been 11 days since I last blogged. I had intended to write a lengthy post today about my trip to DC and the rest of spring break, but something far more important is on my mind tonight.

I returned to Maple this afternoon and signed into Messenger as usual. Sadie asked if I had seen the news, which prompted me to turn on the TV and discover that there had been a shooting at Red Lake High School. This, the second high school shooting in recent years in Minnesota hits far too close to home for reasons that extend beyond the geographic closeness of Bemidji and Red Lake...

Someone I know works inside that school. Amy, a friend from Writing Methods class who is one of the most passionate future teachers I've ever seen, is currently doing her student teaching internship there. She is known and loved not only by the English Ed majors but also by some of my other friends, Julie in particular. As of yet, there's been no word from her.

I've sat here for the last couple of hours, watching TV, checking websites, and chatting on Messenger, just stunned...trying to make sense of something out of which very little sense can possibly be made. And all the while, I think of Amy...her passion and dedication to those kids, in that rough and tough school, and how much she should be admired for it.

And now this senseless violence befalls the place and students she cares about so much. It's just horrible. All we can do now is hope and pray that she's safe, and that they can find some answers to this unfathomable tragedy.

1 comment: