Monday, March 20, 2006

Impressive, Interesting, and a Whole Lot of Fun

Upon reflection, that's the best description I can offer of my time with STLF following the DC Summit.

Having worked with, and on behalf of students on campus and across the state and country for almost four years, I have encountered all kinds...some ultra involved, some completely apathetic, and most in between. And in the last several weeks as I've done reading for lit reviews, I've seen that media rarely portrays the good students do...the media says we don't care, all too many community members believe we don't care...it's hard to get away from the stereotype.

Well, after spending a few days with the students of STLF, I am reminded that students DO care...it may not be political lobbying like I'm used to, but community service is something we really should be doing...as individuals and as a Senate.

309 students
8 buses
9 days
50-plus cities
Countless lives touched
Many friends made

And it's all done by students on a volunteer basis...no established budget, no staff help. Absolutely amazing.

Student government leaders are not the only ones out there...these kids are the definition of what student leaders should be. I am proud to have been there, if only for a short while.

No comments: