Monday, February 14, 2005

Putting Words In My Mouth-UPDATE

So, this morning I decided to email the author of that article where I was misquoted the other day. Text Follows:

-------
[Author]

I saw some WSU colleagues at a meeting over the weekend who mentioned that they were surprised to see my name pop up on the CyberIndee independent news website. I was fairly surprised to hear about it, so I checked when I got home, and sure enough, my name was in a story about Rally Day. You appeared to be the author of the story.

I think it is prudent to inform you that the quote you attributed to me is incorrect..."One speaker, Berne Christiansen of Bemidji State, told the crowd: "We students have taken on more than our fair share of the burden of balancing the state's budget, and we need some relief." "Those are not my words. In fact, I never addressed the crowd during the Rally. I don't know how my name became attached, and I am sure it was an honest mistake. As a journalism student I am certain you are aware of the need to be diligent and correct when quoting others in the media.

On a positive note, I am happy to see that you are paying attention to the Tuition Freeze Campaign, which is perhaps the biggest project MSUSA has undertaken.

Have a great day!
-------
His Response:

Mr. Christiansen ~ I am sorry about the mistake, i asked a friend about who a particular speaker was, and they said your name. i will try to be more careful about this in the future. Thanks for letting me know.
------
Lets hope they double check quotes from now on. I am really curious to know who this friend is, because it must be someone I know, and for anyone I know to mistake me for someone else is, well, funny.

No comments: