Friday, September 23, 2005

Getting Involved: Memories and Musings

This has been a busy week. For the last several days, we have been involved in a big recruitment drive to bring up the Senate numbers, so I've done some tabling, class presentations, made a flyer, etc. Today we got 7 applications, which I believe must be a record for a single day...at least that I can recall.

In these past few weeks, as I've given my "pitch" to students telling them what a great opportiunity Senate is, it's gotten me thinking;It's brought back memories. Memories of my last-second decision to try for that MVHS Student Council seat. Memories of MASC's 2001 Summer Seminar, and the year that followed...the year that began my "career" in student government. And of course, so many memories of the last 3 years, and the beginnings of more, at BSU. All of the experiences I've had as a student leader have come about because of a series of choices that, at least in the early stages involved big risk and leaps of faith...when one has never been involved, the first steps are always the hardest. There have been good times and bad, and a great deal of work mixed in with the fun. Through it all, the decisions I have made to get involved...and stay involved, in things which I am passionate about, have impacted my life in the best ways possible.

Yesterday evening, while visiting with a friend, I was reminded of some of the other great things students are doing on campuses and in communities that those of us doing "official" business in the belly of the beast lose sight of on occasion. He is attempting to get a chapter of an organization focusing on community service and leadership development going on campus. After hearing the story and checking out the website, I am impressed by the concept, and think we will see good things from that group.

Leadership opportunities abound for students. Sure, not all people want to be in student government, but should be able to find at least one thing to be involved with. If we all did that, the idea of "student apathy" would go the way of the dodo.

Getting involved...it's the best choice a student can make.

No comments: