Monday, January 29, 2007

Catching Up: Round One Successful

In the week since I last posted...

Teaching:

True show time was Thursday…my first full lesson of my own design with both sets of 9th graders, and the first observation by my University Supervisor in 4th.

Both periods went pretty well, although I did make some minor changes to 4th based on what happened in first. Overall, I got pretty positive comments, and we discussed some things to work on:

-Timing: too little group time in first, but almost too much in 4th.
Interaction-Because I stand to the left of the overhead and lean on that desk, I sometimes don’t give that side of the room enough attention…we came up with a couple of strategies to combat this.

I also realized 4th hour might have been more responsive because I have been in front of them three times this week, whereas today was my first experience teaching first. The class that is more familiar with me probably was more comfortable responding.

Big surprise? How quickly a period goes by when you are actually doing the teaching.

Today was an inservice day...I enjoyed the sessions I attended on Apple Universal Access and podcasting. Keynote speech was kind of dull.

T-minus one week until I take over 9th grade on a daily basis. Yikes.

Senate/MSUSA:
Had a good conference in Winona, although it was not without the requisite bumps that always seem to accompany them. I always enjoy seeing my colleagues. Having the day off on Friday was also nice as I was able to catch up with campus errands and visit with Pat about my thesis, and also with Mark.


No comments: