Wednesday, January 10, 2007

First Time "In Charge"

I ran my first class today. My cooperating teacher had some training for first hour, and although there was a sub, she asked me to run the class. I didn't have to instruct, just monitor group discussions. All in all, it went very well...the students were on task and seemed to listen ok.

I think they are getting used to my presence. I was asked legitimate questions for the first time today, and someone actually addressed me by name. It is a good feeling to know that students are starting to view me as a c0-teacher in the room rather than simply a random guy who sits at a desk and watches what's going on.

Fourth hour brought my pet peeve...well, one of them. A student right in front of me was sleeping in class, and persisted even after being told by both of us to wake up and do something. I find sleeping in class disrespectful. I mean, come on, even teachers are tired sometimes but how hard is it to stay awake for an hour until one gets to go home?

1 comment:

Julie said...

did you talk to him about why he was sleeping and tell him it's not acceptable behavior?