Sunday, January 07, 2007

Week One Down...

Well, I survived my first week as a student teacher...well, three day week anyway. It wasn't too tough, since the first few weeks are mostly observation and preparation.

Of course Wednesday, each hour started off with kids whispering "Who's that guy?" I was introduced but won't get to know this crop too well, since the new semester starts in two weeks, and the new semester means new kids.

Thursday I had the experience of a fire alarm, and of working with a sub for the afternoon. I had to supervise one class in the computer lab, and was reminded how dumb some kids must think I am...I may be new to this, but I'm pretty sure messing around on AOL.COM has nothing to do with schoolwork.

Friday I was told I could go explore the school while an exam was being taken. I walked around and found some places...the IMC, the mail, the copy room and etc. and introduced myself to folks in those areas, including some administrators and secretaries. I am still amazed at the expansiveness of the building...significantly larger than my high school, yet with fewer students...who probably don't realize what a facility they have.

The biggest adjustment so far is settling into the role. It is strange walking into a school and realizing you are a teacher and not a student. Even then, I think it's kind of an in between stage for first few days...the kids don't know me, I don't know them, and they're not "my classes", so it's a lot of feeling my way around and figuring out how much "authority" or lack thereof I have to do things as simple as telling them to get on task when my cooperating teacher steps out to run to the office or another room and leaves me "in charge."

It's going to be an interesting and fun few weeks, to be sure.

3 comments:

Jake said...

hey berne, josh sends his love ok?

Froyd said...

remember to crush those who oppose you...the rest will fall in line.

Jake said...

things are good down here. no problem whatsoever. don't even have any fleas at the moment. take care eh