Monday, January 15, 2007

Friday's Lessons

On Friday a student approached my desk and told me he’d seen the article about me in BSU’s Horizons publication, where I was featured as a “Senior to Watch.” It was the first time a student talked to me about my “student” life as opposed to my “teacher” life. I have not shared much about myself with these classes, as they will be gone in another week. We had a brief conversation about picking a college. He said he’s considering BSU for business…another potential Beaver in the making.

Also on Friday I was reminded that school in Bemidji is a bit different from my experience in high school. As part of my units I will need to incorporate essays, so I asked Kristin if I needed to build in time in the computer lab. She said yes. This momentarily surprised me until I was reminded that the number of students who have computers at home is probably fewer here than where I went to school in the Twin Cities. At my high school, one was simply expected to turn in typed papers, there was no lab time given. A simple reminder of subtle differences.

No comments: