Saturday, September 29, 2007

Job Search Update...

A couple of my regular readers have been asking for an update on my job search. Namely Alicia and Sharon--thanks for the kind words of encouragement ladies!

Search by the numbers, if I've counted correctly:

Total Applications Completed: 38
Interviews Completed: 3
Still Active: 13

I know some people I have talked to say it can take 50-100 applications before something sticks. My challenge is that the kind of work I want to do either seems to require more experience than I have, more education than I have, or both. Admittedly, I have only met minimum qualifications for many of the positions to which I've applied, but I've gone for it anyway because I have very little to lose. I just want to get my foot in the door someplace and get some experience somewhere in the field.

I've also heard it can take six months to find a job in one's field. I've been looking for a little more than four at this point, but I won't be able to last much longer in the world of the unemployed for several reasons:

1) I am bored.
2) My bank account is shrinking.
3) Large periods of unemployment look bad on resumes, and I need experience doing something.
4) The parents are starting to worry.

So, at this point I see a few scenerios developing:
1) The stars align in my favor and I'm able to secure student affairs work very shortly.
2) I get a retail job in the short term, and hope for a grad assistantship somewhere in the fall.
3) I apply to work in the call center at the company where my mother works. We've floated this almost as a joke in the past, because we didn't think it would be the best option. But, as the weeks wear on, she's brought it up again...the pay is OK, benefits are good and it would be easy to get to work.
4) Something else entirely, TBD.

I still would like to be in a Masters program either full or part time next fall. Exactly where or whether it is FT or PT is dependent upon where I end up working.

I have an interview Monday for an Admissions Representative position with a private business school. As usual, I won't say which one unless I get hired someplace, but suffice it to say that if you live within viewing area of Twin Cities TV stations, you've likely seen their ads and know the jingle that goes with them, which begins "One Day, One Night, Saturday's all right..."

We'll see how it goes.

5 comments:

Alicia said...

Hey there again. Would an internship be an option? I know it's not long-term, but I'm also in your place in the whole "you need lots of experience but you're too young to have it" place with you, too. I need experience in book publishing to get my foot in the door in editorial, and I'm not willing to be an editorial assistant--I want to start at least as an editor in some capacity. I believe I have too much education and too much experience and too many skills to take the time to build up from that position. Most of the time they classify them under administrative assistant positions--I think you see where I'm going with this. And you see that I understand wholeheartedly.

I got the internship this last summer, and it has helped in the resume department a ton. Now I have real-world experience specifically in book publishing, and I qualify for a ton more!

I know internships aren't always paid, but they aren't forever, either. Just a thought!

I know that jingle! :) And I lived in Duluth!

What are you thinking of getting your MA/MS in? Any schools and/or programs piquing your interest?

Sharon said...

I wish you all the luck in the world! Have you considered something like Natasha did? Working with Americorps?

Sharon said...

Berne, I SHOULD have said...'Wow, you are making a monumental effort, and I'm PROUD of you!'

Unknown said...

I agree with Sharon. You are working hard to get what you want, and I want to give you kudos for not settling. Good luck, my friend!

Alicia said...

Oops! Cellar Roots is me!