Monday, November 08, 2004

Losing Touch

I was chatting briefly with a friend from high school on AIM tonight. I hadn't chatted with her in some time. Turns out she is now in school in New York.

This conversation made me realize something. I am in touch with virtually no one from high school. If it weren't for IM programs I probably would not be in contact with people at all. And most of those people I do hear from are from the classes after mine, not my graduating class. Mostly, I'm lucky to hear from people a couple of times a year. There are a few I send Christmas cards to, but that's it.

I'm reminded of this lost touch occasionally, such as last year when I was given the sad news that one friend had passed away following a tragic motorcycle crash...I hadn't seen, spoken or written to her since graduation.

Or, realizing that it's only since Nolan joined Senate that I've seen him for more than a moment or two at a crack while moving about between classes and what not. This campus isn't that big, and yet before this year, I'd probably only had a half dozen "hey, what's up" exchanges with him in the last two. Nothing wrong with that, but it certainly illustrates that losing touch is easy...even if you're in the same place.

So why have I lost touch with so many? I don't know, maybe it's natural. My life is much different than it was, and most of it is here, not back home. My good friends are here (or I met them here and they've moved on). So in one sense, it's sad to lose touch, but in another sense it's just part of life.

What a difference two years can make.

1 comment:

Sue said...

I can totally relate. I've barely kept in touch with anyone from high school. The weird thing is, I never talk to my old high school "friends", now the people I keep in touch with from high school are the ones I thought I'd never want to be friends with. Funny, huh? Just remember that the friends that really matter won't fall out of touch with you, they'll be around forever, even if you don't see them that often.