Monday, October 08, 2007

Cell Phone Woes

This morning I got a text from my cell phone company telling me to pay my bill. Online account management says it's overdue.

Problem-I distinctly remember writing the check and Dad remembers it being in a stack of mail he sent out three weeks ago. Either the check was lost in the mail or my provider is stupid...both are quite possible.

I'm also having another cell phone dilemma. I'm not sure whether to keep my current phone number (a Bemidji number) or change it to a Twin Cities number, since this is where I am living now. I want to make a decision within the next few days because I'm having calling cards printed up to easily distribute my contact info at the conference I'll be attending in a couple of weeks.

Factors to consider:

  • I've had my current number 3 years (Advantage: Keep)
  • It appears likely that I will be here a while (Advantage: New Number)
  • The change may be a hassle and I would have to sign a new contract. However, I don't plan to change providers when this one expires (Advantage: Even)
  • If the number were local, I could use it as my primary line as opposed to our home phone, which I never answer anyway (Advantage: New)
  • If I did move, would it make more sense to have a number associated with a major metro area? (Advantage: Even)
  • It may be better to change now, because in a couple of weeks whatever number I have will be much more widely distributed than it is now, and I'll have hundreds of cards with it on them (Advantage: New)
But is it truly worth a change? Whatever shall I do?

(Really stupid post, I know. They happen occasionally)

2 comments:

Sharon said...

No, not stupid! Having a phone number from a large metro area may be a plus.

Plus, now is a good time to make the change.

Loralee Choate said...

I think that you would be wise to switch your phone to a local number.

Letting go of a long time number is pretty difficult, though. I just lost my TEN YEAR number due to stupidity last year and still mourn...

P.S.
Feed readers rock, indeed.