Wednesday, October 24, 2007

MCPA Recap

I had a really nice time at the MCPA conference Monday and yesterday. I had wondered if I would feel a tad out of place being that I am neither a current staff member or student of any school. But everyone I spoke with was quite nice and I think I've made some great contacts.

I attended sessions on:

  • Leadership in Student Affairs
  • Kids on Campus, a cool U of M program that reaches out to kids grades K-8
  • Job searching in student affairs
  • "You Might Be a Graduate Student If.."--talked to some grad students about their programs
  • Transitioning to College from a Disability Perspective--a grad student talked about working with students who have learning disabilities.
  • "I am Leadership"-St. Thomas folks discussed their fall leadership institute, which sounds like an awesome program.
Also got to listen to a couple of interesting keynotes, and watch a talent show which included MCPA themed versions of "YMCA" and "Hard Knock Life"

So, I accomplished exactly what I had hoped for: I leaned, met lots of people in the field, got offers from folks to float my name around their campuses for potential openings, got suggestions of grad schools to look at, and had fun.

A couple of days well spent.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I am SO glad it went so well. That was a marvelous example of NETWORKING at its best!
Hope some of the contacts pay off for you!