Monday, October 11, 2004

Back in High School

Today I did an observation at Bemidji High School for Ed Psych. Being back in a high school is kind of funny...Granted it's only been a little over two years since I was in one myself, but the experience is still interesting. So is going to BMS for the practicum every week.

I must say I was rather struck by the size of Bemidji High. I mean, I come from a suburban high school with over 2000 students, but BHS is easily a third bigger. I guess I was surprised there would be such a big school here. I mean, Bemidji is not that big of a town.

Anyway, I spent about 3 hours there observing 2 English 9 classes. Oh, life as a carefree 9th grader...those were the days. It was definitely interesting to see the contrast between the two periods. The kids were pretty good, only a couple trouble makers. The period 2 group was like "What's he doing here?" when they saw me. Third period didn't really acknowledge me, which was ok since I'm not technically supposed to interact with them while observing. I'll be going back on Friday to observe a group of Seniors...that contrast with the Freshmen will be interesting too. It sounds like the teacher would like me to visit more beyond the observation too...we'll see if my schedule permits.

No comments: